Monday, February 22, 2010

Cleaning out

I was cleaning out this large portfolio of artwork I've done over the past 20 years or so. Lots of fun stuff, but some of it was very very weak. Hopefully what some of it gets recycled into will become paper for a better artist than myself. Shouldn't be too hard. Basically if it was uninspiring, I tossed it. If I could do better today, I tossed it. If it was sentimental...I kept it.

Business Cards:
This thread over at tentonstudios.com got me thinking about my own business card situation, which is very sad indeed. My last business card said, "comic artist" which is fine, because at the time of it's arrival I was very much trying to push myself as one one. But having quit that dream and moved on I find myself wondering, really what the hell am I? Yeah, technically I'm a graphic designer for my day job, but I really want to be a professional writer. And then there's the artstore that my wife and I have started. Maybe I should have some titles with check boxes on the front of the card that says "Pick the me you want." Then they can check off art supplies, writer, designer, loving dad/husband. Whatevever they want. I'm not entirely sure how much of me is kidding about this idea. Eh, moving on.

Also:
Selling your creations is an awesome feeling. I guess just giving them away to people who actually want them would be an equally awesome feeling, but I needs the money right now, yo. So I sold a few copies of my new short story "H3110" last weekend at a comic convention me and a bunch of the Ten Ton guys were attending. It was a fun little show. Good crowd. I brought the art supplies with me and sold some of those too. I also submitted the story to Asimov's sci-fi magazine. According to their website its still in "open" but "received" status, so that's still better than "closed" and "rejected."

How's the weather?
It looks like it's going to be an awesome day today. The boy (19 months old) has gotten really good at throwing the ball back to me. If it's a big enough ball he can catch it pretty good too, if nothing else is in his hands. We bought him a bike helmet yesterday so we can ride him around in the bike seat we found being thrown away. So far he doesn't like the helmet at all, but he's just going to have to get used to it because there isn't going to be any compromise on this issue.

Okay, that's it for now folks. Word up.

Also, have your lady friends check out my wife's blog at ksaintp.com.

No comments: