Friday, February 12, 2010

If your life is a conversation, let's change the subject.

My name is Scott St. Pierre.
I am many things to many different people, but how many things am I to myself? And of those things which ones are you happy to be? Which ones are you you great at? Which ones do you only want to be better at because it means strengthening your career path, which in these hard economic times is very important but at what cost to the strength of your family time?
See, I've been doing some thinking, and it's the kind of thinking that gets people in trouble. It's the "is who I am who I'm supposed to be" type thinking. But I know who I am, and who I'm supposed to be is the guy who does the things that brings in enough money so the bank don't take the house and the gas people let us stay warm and clean and the electric people let us see at night and give power to or charge the batteries of our electronic-distractyoufromyourtruedestiny-devices.
Don't let that last sentence fool you. I love technology. I really do. I get excited when I read about giant leaps in processor speed or the crazy methods of data storage that some scientists are researching. But I guess I'm just starting to wonder what it's all building up towards. Why did we all actually need "a computer in every home?" Why now do we need 2+ computers in every home?
I don't have many answers for these questions, so if you're reading this looking for some great insightful way to find some kind of meaningful solution that you can then apply to your or life, I apologize for that now. I think a first step is to downgrade, if only in our minds, the usefulness of these machines that we depend on for so much. If we don't slow down, someone is going to end up creating a widget that cross references the local temperature with traffic patterns to what was on TV and then to a database where it looks up a personality profile so it can determine what sort of mood your wife is in on any given day so you won't actually have to ask her how her day was. Yikes.
In closing, I think for the weekend I'm going to give this computer thing a rest till Monday morning. Maybe get some reading done. Draw a picture with an actual pencil on actual paper, and bust out the crayons and not have to give a shit if that shade of color named Purple Mountains Majesty from the ole 64 color box of Crayola's is in RGB or CMYK. If anyone needs me, you can FedEx me or go the green route and send a carrier pigeon.

No comments: